Saturday, March 23, 2013

The gift from my coy mistress

The four-year old strong bond between two of us vanished so easily a couple of years ago. I never thought that she would go far to this extend; dumping me in the worst pit ever, without any pain and pity for a new guy whom she met along the way. It truly was a painful moment in my whole-life time. I was left with my eyes brimming full of tears. I stood wordless, hopeless, speechless and senseless by her misbehavior. It indeed was a lifelong lesson taught by my coy mistress. 

 Through one of her friends, I heard that she was dating a guy and planning to be together for rest of their life. News came floating to my ears from miles apart. I couldn't get hold of myself when I was informed about her cruelty. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So I made a phone call to confirm what she actually was doing. “What are you doing dear?” I inquired her in my softest tone, “I am at my husband's place right now, and I came here to meet his father.” She affirmed me proudly without any words of politeness and hung up the call. I felt as if somebody conked me with the most painful weapon on my head; that particular evening. I was completely broken and painfully left fragile into wee pieces of sorrow.

I was then instantly reminded of her vow, and the tears that she shed for me before departing at the bus terminal a year ago. Flashbacks came rushing. I went to drop her at the bus terminal. I helped her to carry things and load it on the bus. She was done with the training and got posted in one of the eastern hospitals. I was studying in the second year of my college that time. Before she got into the bus, she hugged me and gave me something wrapped in an envelope. “Ugyen! Do study hard, I will be always missing and waiting for you.” She advised me with some drops of tears on her face. Hardly did I speak any words to her; I couldn't even say a word because of the emotional trauma that I was undergoing. I wanted her to stay in little more by my side; the driver got inside and started the engine. She got in the bus and flipped over beyond my sight like a paper being blown away by the wind. I caught a taxi and went back to my hostel. I opened the envelope that she gave me upon reaching the hostel: it contained a small passport size photo of her when she was in primary classes and a thousand ngultrum note. I constantly cried upon seeing those things.     

 Even though she is not mine today, I am glad that her photo and the thousand ngultrum note still with me. I want to preserve it for eternity because she is so special and dear to my heart. She is my first love; I want to cherish her affections forever irrespective of what she did it to me. Lately, I heard that she is pregnant, I am so happy as if that expecting child is mine. I still love her and she would always be in my heart, imperishable by my thoughts.   

“I wish if it was really true, oh! yet another nightmare."

2 comments: